I am a visual artist and recent graduate of the Gnomon School of VFX, Games, and Animation. I grew up in a small sleepy town in New Jersey, and spent a lot of my childhood exploring the woods and finding beauty in the peace of nature. After high school, I wanted to pursue art and visual storytelling in any way I could. This led me to the Art Academy in Hillsborough, New Jersey, where I studied traditional oil painting under professional illustrator Kevin Murphy in a year-long mentorship program.
I studied classical portraiture and illustration in oil paints and charcoal drawings, and found that I enjoyed making pieces which captured moments of emotion the most. The look in a dog's eyes when it's reunited with its owner, or the moment of fiery tension that is sparked when a blade is drawn. I wanted to chase those feelings and pin them down, in whatever medium I could. Meanwhile, I pursued an Associate's Degree in Fine Arts from Raritan Valley Community College in New Jersey, where I became more familiar with other digital and traditional mediums such as pastels and colored pencils.
After graduating, I embarked on a journey to find a way that I could continue creating artwork that captured those moments of high emotion and storytelling, and it led me to the world of animation, games, and cinema. I transferred to Gnomon with the ambition of learning as much as I could, so that hopefully I could use a digital medium to tell fantastical stories to people all over the world.
Ethan is a Lighting Artist and CG Generalist; as well as a graduate of the Gnomon School of VFX, Games, and Animation. His specialties include Lighting, Look Development, Compositing, and Generalist work. Driven by a passion for storytelling, he would like to use his technical skills to bring life into the exciting worlds of our imaginations.
March 2023 - Present
• 3D/CG Generalist & Set Designer
• Responsible for all aspects of set creation pipeline: modeling, texturing, lighting, set assembly, render wrangling, and file management for the stylized feature action film "Takeover".
• Gained experience creating realistic cities and urban sets, using both pre-made assets from the studio's library and Kitbash3D and creating my own when necessary.
• Gained experience working remotely as part of a team with daily video meetings and ShotGrid collaboration.
• Fast turnaround per shot, created 1500+ full CG shots with a team of fewer than ten artists
• Used Clarisse, Maya, Substance Painter, Photoshop, and ShotGrid.
The Art Academy & Evolve
Jan. 2019 - March 2021
• Assisted in teaching children’s physical traditional drawing & painting classes along with head instructor/professional portraitist Piper Talladay.
• Moved into an instructor position at the studio’s online education program, Evolve Artist, grading student homework assignments twice a week and providing weekly lectures on digital art, teaching amateur and professional artists of all ages.
Medeo Fencing Club
2015 - 2021 (Intermittently)
• Independently instructed classes of 5-10 elementary to high school students in the sport of Epee fencing
• Designed lesson plans, demonstrated techniques, and taught class to help students improve both physical and mental proficiency
BFA in Digital Production
2019 - 2022
High rigor accredited institute specializing in digital production & VFX for film & games industry; Achieved a BFA in Digital Production upon completion in December 2022.
2017 - 2019
Participated in a gap year/full-time mentorship under professional illustrator and portraitist Kevin Murphy, trained as a classical oil painter.
Raritan Valley Community College
AFA in Visual Arts
2017 - 2019
Received an AFA in Visual Arts, honored with 4.0 GPA, Dean’s List, President’s List, Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society.
Was specifically asked to write an article for the Rookies blog detailing technical workflow and creative process for my piece, “Ambrosia”. Article titled: "Building a Stylized 3D Environment and Shot in Unreal Engine".
Was specifically asked to write an article for the 80 Level blog detailing technical workflow and creative process for my piece, “Palia House”. Article titled: "Creating a Dreamy Cottage with Maya, Substance 3D Painter & Houdini".
Gnomon School of VFX
Summer, Winter, Fall 2022
Awarded “Best of Term” - Quarterly award for exceptional student work, judged by Gnomon founder Alex Alvarez, under the categories of “Game-Props”, “Look Development”, "Environment - Stylized", and "Animation - Group Project".
July 2022, July 2023
Selected as a finalist for both the 2022 and 2023 Rookie Awards mentorship opportunity by ON Animation, after receiving a draft selection both years and a coveted excellence award in 2022.
• Substance Painter
• Substance Designer
• Adobe Photoshop
• Adobe Premiere
• Unreal Engine
• Marmoset Toolbag
• Texturing / Shading
• Look Dev / Look Development
• Compositing / Image Finaling
• Environment Creation
• Foliage Creation
• Procedural Scattering / Placement
• Game Engine Workflow
• Film Pipeline Workflow
• Creative Problem Solving
• Positive Attitude
• Takes Feedback Well
• Works Well in a Team
• Works Well Independently
• Capable of Learning New Software/Workflow
• Respectful/Conscientious of Others